Recess & Weather Guidelines:
Exercise ouotdoors is healthy and is strongly encouraged. If conditions preclude the full recess time, even a five minute break can revitalize children and prepare them for more academic learning.
Students go outside for recess every day unless it is raining, snowing or severe cold weather based on the "feels like" temperature.
Students also walk to the church for mass.
So it is very important that students dress appropriate for the weather when they leave the house in the morning to come to school.
Students without jackets or warm clothing will not be allowed outside for recess in cold weather.
Bellow are guidelines for cold weather recess.
The national Nurses' Association has established the following guidelines for recess during the winter months.
- Feels like 25 degrees and above (considers wind chill factor) - Outdoor Recess
- Feels like 16-25 degrees (considers wind chill factor) - Abbreviated Outdoor Recess to 5-10 minutes.
*Feels like 15 degrees or below (considers wind chill factor) - Inside Recess
To access the current local temperature including wind chill
1. Type in WWW.weather.com
2. Type in your zip code (02719)3. Look at the current temperature for Fairhaven.
4. Look right below the current temperature to get the "Feels Like" temperature.
5. That's the temperature that we will use to determine outdoor recess.